Friday 13 June 2008

Who do you love?

Here's a coming together of politics and culture that made me smile. An 'Early Day Motion' has been laid in the Westminster Parliament asking the House to note the passing of the fabulous rectangular-guitared gravel-voiced genius Bo Diddley, who sadly died last week. (Just in case anyone thinks I'm being ironic, I'm not, and will beat you with my very thick vinyl copy of Bo Diddley's Greatest Hits if I need to prove it.) You can read it here and see who's signed it. There's some kind of irony in the mention of the economy and debt, given Bo Diddley was, like many black musicians of his generation, understandably bitter about the deals he was forced to sign as a young man.

I stumbled across this in my weekly update from the Conservative Culture team, to whom, given some of their recent press releases, I dedicate this brilliant clip of Diddley's 'You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover'.

No comments: